Petition campaign “demanding” for Robert Lewandowski to receive the Ballon d’Or has been viral
A petition “demanding” for Robert Lewandowski to receive the Ballon d’Or award has been created.
After his blistering form this season, where he’s notched a staggering 55 goals in all competitions and lead Bayern to the Champion league crown, many believe the Polish striker was on his way to winning a first ever Ballon d’Or win prior to the award being scrapped due to the impact of coronavirus.
His memorable treble with Bayern Munich, one fan has decided to set up a petition urging France Football, the creator of the prestigious individual award, to have a rethink.
2020 needs the Ballon d'Or.— B/R Football (@brfootball) August 23, 2020
Sign the petition to bring it back ✍️
The appeal was set up 10 hours ago and is now closing in on 60000 signatures as Lewandowski continues to bang in the goals on the biggest stage.
The petition’s description on Change.Org reads:
“2020 has been a difficult year for everyone, and in such circumstances, France Football’s decision to cancel this year’s Ballon d’Or is understandable. However, since football’s return, the game’s top players have provided fans around the world a thrilling respite from the global pandemic.
Lazio’s Ciro Immobile outscored bigger names to win the Golden Shoe. Liverpool’s thrilling team of Mane, Salah, Alexander-Arnold and Van Dijk lifted their first English title in 30 years. Neymar dazzled as PSG reached their first-ever Champions League final. Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi, now both well in their 30s, continued their statistically mind-boggling careers. And of course, a remarkable Bayern Munich team, led by the goalscoring exploits of Robert Lewandowski, won the Champions League to complete a sublime treble with some of the most scintillating football Europe has ever seen.
These players deserve to be honoured for the joy and excitement they have provided during this difficult time. That is why B/R Football is presenting this petition to France Football, on behalf of football fans around the world, to ask them to reinstate football’s most prestigious individual award—the Ballon d’Or—and honour the player that has made the biggest impact on this unique, yet no less enthralling, year of football.”
46 games. 55 goals. 10 assists.— B/R Football (@brfootball) August 23, 2020
Bundesliga. DFB Pokal. Champions League.
Top scorer in all three.
Robert Lewandowski had the season of his life 🔥 pic.twitter.com/HeEYIgfLd4
Another appeal was set up last month and is now closing in on 10000 signatures as Lewandowski continues to bang in the
The petition’s description on Change.Org reads: “France Football has decided (without any good/reasonable reason) to not award the Ballon d’Or this year.
“Exactly when Lewandowski became dangerous to the two annual winners (Messi + Ronaldo), France Football has decided to not award the Ballon d’Or.
“This is a huge disappointment and feels like a huge scam/fraud to many of us football fans.
“Almost every football fan was convinced that Robert Lewandowski earned the Ballon d’Or this year. So we are demanding France Football to hand over the Ballon d’Or to Robert Lewandowski this year for an outstanding season.
“Please Share and Sign this Petition. Thank you football fans for your support.”
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand went on record to say that the former Borussia Dortmund striker should be starting a petition himself in order to get the award he deserves.
Rio Ferdinand thinks Robert Lewandowski should start a petition to get the Ballon d’Or back on. pic.twitter.com/tDGECHNl7X— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) August 14, 2020
In an interview, Ferdinand also told the decision to cancel the prize is a “cruel” one for Lewandowski to take.
He said: “I think he was the main candidate to win it. I feel quite gutted for him really that he’s not got it, I think he’ll be sick.
“It seems quite a cruel thing to do I believe. I think Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have had their hands on it for so long, Luka Modric came in and had a year.
“I think Lewandowski has been one of them players just under Messi and Ronaldo in terms of quality, that next band of players that have been waiting.
“He’s had the chance to do it, he gets there, then they take it away from him.”
It has been confirmed that the “FIFA: The Best” awards will be still be going ahead, which could serve as a consolation to the Champions League’s top scorer.
Comments are closed.